Saturday, 24 April 2010

A Fateful Journey

It was Easter weekend, early April 1901 when the Stuart set out from Liverpool on its long journey to New Zealand, a journey that would be over almost before it was begun.  The 912 ton sailing ship, built in 1877 in Dundee, started its voyage along the coast of North Wales in a southerly wind and thick drizzle, drizzle that prevented the ship from seeing the Caernarfon Bay Lightship, thus depriving it of the opportunity to  move further out to sea, away from the jagged rocks of this treacherous coastline.

The Stuart sped along much faster than they had expected, and in the early hours of Easter Sunday the ship hit the rocky shore before anything could be done to avoid the collision. In the dark and drizzle the crew were unsure just how close to land they were, and so immediately abandoned ship.  The hours until daylight were spent trying to find a place to land, with the crew totally unaware that all they had needed to do was sit tight on board and wade ashore at low tide. 

The shipwreck proved a welcome bonus for local people, as it was filled with a large cargo, containing amongst other things a large number of cases filled with whisky.

At a very low tide, part of the wreck is still visible and can be seen lying a quarter of a mile west of Porth Colmon.  Pieces of pottery can still occasionally be found along the shore line.


  1. Interesting story.
    I don't suppose any whisky is still floating about? lol

  2. None from that one but I'll keep you informed of the next wreck so you join in the pillaging! :-)


Many thanks for your visit. Your comment will be visible after moderation.

About Me

My photo
I live in North Wales and spend my time caring for animals, walking in the countryside, photographing nature and reading. I hope to share, in photographs and words, some of the beauty that I see. If you enjoy the photographs on this blog then you might like to take a look at my Flickr photostream. View my complete profile for links to both of my blogs.