Sunday 11 April 2010

The Primrose, The Fly and The Beetle



Today has been just beautiful: warm, calm and sunny.  As I walk the lanes I see new flowers appearing daily, though the insects seem to be sparse so far this year.  With all the mild winters we have had, I have become used to seeing imsects all year round nearly, so to have gone for several months seeing little has been very strange.   I have seen quite a few queen Bumblebees this past few days, which came as a relief as I had started to worry that they had been very badly hit by the weather.  Last year I saw Bumblebees on Mahonia on New Years Day.

I did spot an insect new to me today: the Common or Green Tiger Beetle.  I spotted him dashing through some grass and only just managed to get a fleeting shot of him.   Not a great photo but good enough for identification purposes.  Isn't he a handsome chap?


Well I am off to bed after a long and tiring day.  Hope your day was as enjoyable as mine. :-)

2 comments:

  1. I've noticed a lot of bees recently too, Kerry.
    A relief to see them indeed.
    The Green Tiger Beetle is handsome, especially with those scarlet legs.
    I don't think I've ever seen one before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hoping you would post some primroses.
    the beetle is a better shot than I got of the same coloured fly.

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for your visit. Your comment will be visible after moderation.

About Me

My photo
I live in North Wales and spend my time caring for animals, walking in the countryside, photographing nature and reading. I hope to share, in photographs and words, some of the beauty that I see. If you enjoy the photographs on this blog then you might like to take a look at my Flickr photostream. View my complete profile for links to both of my blogs.