Friday 14 May 2010

Looking But Not Seeing

Sometimes I find that I am so engrossed in trying to spy out the creatures, I just don't spot them when they are right under my nose: a case of not being able to see the wood for the trees.  This happened a couple of days ago: I had been on a long meandery walk when I suddenly spotted the time and realised that the rest of the walk needed to be a brisk one.  I stopped scanning the banking and started to walk off, and that was when I spotted it, standing out like a boil on a bare backside: a Brimstone Moth.  How I had missed it when searching I don't know.  He was hidden slightly behind a blade of grass, but very obligingly stayed put as I moved the blade away, and also moved the blade of grass that he was clinging to in order to get some better shots.  I wish all moths were this obliging! 



It was certainly a fat little chap, and would make a tasty meal for a bird.  I ensured that I tucked it back into the base of the hedge and camouflaged it with another blade of grass when I left.

2 comments:

  1. I have never seen this species of moth before - what a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not seen one of these for a few years Kerry.
    Great shots. They are beauties aren't they. Love that first one.

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for your visit. Your comment will be visible after moderation.

About Me

My photo
I live in North Wales and spend my time caring for animals, walking in the countryside, photographing nature and reading. I hope to share, in photographs and words, some of the beauty that I see. If you enjoy the photographs on this blog then you might like to take a look at my Flickr photostream. View my complete profile for links to both of my blogs.